EMDRIA Certified EMDR Therapist
Once you start your EMDR training (completing Part 1 of a 2 Part training, or the entire 5-Day intensive), you are ethically and professionally qualified to practice EMDR within your licensure criteria. It is not necessary to become certified to practice EMDR in your clinical practice.
Completing an EMDR training does not, in itself, certify you in EMDR. Once you have completed the training course, you may at any time pursue becoming an EMDRIA Certified EMDR Therapist. Analogy: Completing “Undergraduate School” qualifies one to attend “Graduate School” anytime thereafter.
Becoming an EMDRIA Certified EMDR Therapist is separate and apart from EMDR Consulting’s training process and is not included in your training registration fees.
Certification fees are negotiated between you and the Approved Consultant of your choice. We strongly encourage you to use EMDR Consulting’s consultants for continuity of learning; however, EMDR Consulting is not involved in this negotiation.
1. EMDR International Association Approved EMDR Training
- Provide a copy of your certificate of completion of an EMDRIA Approved EMDR Training program.
- Provide a copy of your license to practice independently as a mental health professional in the state or province where you practice.
3. Notarized Statement of Practice and EMDR Experience
- Do you have at least two years of experience in your field of license?
- Have you conducted at least 50 EMDR sessions with at least 25 clients?
Both statements may be included in one single notarized document. Applicants can simply state, “I have at least 2 years experience in my field of license and I have conducted at least 50 EMDR therapy sessions with at least 25 clients” or similar wording, and then have it notarized.
4. 20 Hours of Consultation by an EMDRIA Approved Consultant in EMDR
Provide documentation from the Approved Consultant(s) who provided EMDR consultation to you. It must specify the exact number of consultation hours you received and designate how many of those hours were individual consultation and how many were group consultation.
- If you have received consultation from more than one Approved Consultant, you will need documentation from each one.
- At least 10 of the hours must be obtained through individual, EMDR-focused consultation. The remaining 10 hours may be obtained through small group consultation. Consultation groups cannot exceed more than eight participants at a time.
- Consultants-in-Training can provide up to 15 hours of consultation. The remaining five hours must be provided by an EMDRIA Approved Consultant.
- Only consultation hours received after completion of an EMDRIA Approved EMDR Training program can be applied towards this requirement.
- We strongly recommend you use one of EMDR Consulting’s Approved Consultants. Our consultants are familiar with:
- Integrating EMDR into your clinical practice
- The Belief Focused Approach to EMDR treatment
- Extended Resourcing
- The Processing Continuum: EMD^, EMDr, EMDR
- EMDR Consulting does not maintain responsibility for the clinician’s certification process; therefore, each Approved Consultant will have their own approach to certification.
5. EMDRIA Approved Consultant Letter(s) of Recommendation for EMDR Certification
Provide letter(s) from one or more EMDRIA Approved Consultant(s) addressing your utilization of EMDR with clients and recommending you to be certified in EMDR.
- Letters may include documentation of consultation hours as required in #4 above. If that’s the case, upload the same document for both requirements on the application.
- Letters from Consultants-in-Training do not meet this requirement. Letters must be from an EMDRIA Approved Consultant.
6. Letters of Recommendation Regarding Professional Practice
- Provide two letters of recommendation regarding your professional utilization of EMDR (if possible), ethics in practice, and professional character. These letters may be from colleagues or peers.
7. 12 Hours of EMDRIA Credits
Provide certificates of completion for at least 12 hours of EMDRIA Credits (continuing education in EMDR).
- Only EMDRIA Credit Programs in EMDR obtained after the completion of EMDR Training may be used towards this requirement. EMDR Training programs are not awarded EMDRIA Credits.
- Certificates of completion of EMDRIA Credits hours should include the EMDRIA program approval number and the number of credits earned.
8. EMDR International Association Policies Agreement
- Applicants must read and verify on the application form that they agree to adhere to EMDRIA Policies.